Dear y'all,
A little less than a week ago Luke saw a scary part of a tv show Dennis and I were watching while he was supposed to be playing. As you might guess this has caused him to be completely afraid of any amount of darkness at all. He already has a fan (for white noise), a nightlight and gets a book, and a song before bed. I tried everything I could. I put on a relaxing playlist to sooth him. I took off the nightlight cover to give him more light. I let him sleep on the floor next to me but he kept crying so we moved to the fold down couch where he and I slept.
I had just finished a session at the Temple and I was in our carpool heading home. 10 minutes before we arrived home (2 hour drive one way) I received a text from Dennis saying Luke was still having his melt downs. This being the 3rd or 4th night I was exhausted. Not knowing what else to do I casually told my friend who has adult children of her own what was happening. She immediately understood, then asked if Luke had received a blessing. He hadn't. The following is me sending her that nights events to her the next day.
"Last night after you dropped me off I told Dennis about your idea for Luke. I discussed with Luke some scriptures of how fear is not of God but is of the devil and how he shouldn't be afraid because God loves him and doesn't want him to be afraid. When Dennis gave him the blessing is was so cool. It was about having courage to do what is scary and how heavenly father can help him have courage if he trusts in him and has faith. It was so awesome and it was enlightening to me because I was so focused on what shouldn't be happening that I completely missed the teaching opportunity about bravery. I am so glad you suggested that! Luke slept well last night and I'm certain that it was because of that blessing."
Luke applied that blessing saying that his favorite superheros have courage and are brave. This made it so easy to go on and say how he could be courageous like them by trusting Heavenly Father and knowing that He will give him the courage he needs.
I am so happy that I have a husband who genuinely loves his Father in Heaven. He honors his Priesthood and cares deeply for our children. If he hadn't been trying daily to keep his covenants he wouldn't have been able to give that last minute blessing to Luke. It seems not that big of a deal to warrant a blessing yet it's what help Luke when nothing else would. I am so happy and grateful that our Father in Heaven cares about the simple things in our lives.
Love ya,
S

No comments:
Post a Comment