Continuing in the journal style/letter style as stated in previous posts. I do not want to forget how special Luke's baptism was...
Dear y'all,
We live in an area where our church isn't dominant. In fact our building only has one ward in it. We drive nearly 15 minutes to our building and an hour away to get to our stake center. All this in mind we don't get a lot of child of record baptisms, if you compare it to dominated areas in the western side of the States.
Luke was the only one baptised when his "turn" came up on February 25. It was small and the spirit was definitely there. The baptism itself was of course done by Dennis. Luke's Grandma Sherry played the music on the piano. I am a Child of God and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints were his chosen songs. A close family friend Amanda Craddock gave the opening prayer. Bishop Gleaves talk (on baptism) emphasized about the importance of repentance and taking the sacrament. His Aunt Analane (on the Holy Ghost) used props like a warm blanket, clock and glasses of water to describe how the Holy Ghost works. They gave great hands on, visual aids to assist his understanding. His Grandpa Lindsay Stokes and Uncle Kendall Stokes were the witnesses to the baptism. I was very afraid Luke wouldn't go under the water all the way. His sensory issues with water made me rightfully scared we would be doing the baptism multiple times because of that. Dennis had walked him through it step by step and discussed it many times. It definitely hit home because not only did he walk into 100 gallons of water unafraid and completely calm (that never happens with his ADHD) he went completely under and back up the first time and didn't have a melt down. At all. He didn't twitch, fidget, play with his hair, bounce his foot or adjust any of his clothes. Not once. The entire time. He didn't need to use any of his "outlets" to keep him calm. I have never seen Luke so relaxed as I did at that time. He was completely confident in his decision. He knew this was right and his countenance showed it. I wasn't the only one who noticed this "odd" behavior either, Dennis, Analane and his primary teacher both noticed and mentioned how calm he was. The only answer I can give is that the Holy Spirit was able to calm (both of our) anxieties in this important moment.
When Dennis confirmed him a member and gave him the Holy Ghost you could hear the change in his voice. It is amazing how the administration of this ordinance changes you, if only for a moment. He used different words and pharses you wouldn't normally hear him say. It was the spirit guiding him, it was strong in his voice and there wasn't a dry eye in the room. He took the opportunity to bless him as well. I was so shocked by how calm we all were that I failed to write notes down and I've forgotten that portion. What I do remember is that Luke was pleased with what was said and was very happy. Everyone took turns hugging Luke and/or shaking his hand after it was completed.
After Aunt Analanes talk and then the confirmation Uncle Michael gave the closing prayer. We celebrated by going to Cicis Pizza. He played the games courtesy of a friend and everyone filled their bellies with pizza having a blast.
I'm so proud to be this boy's momma. I know he was sent to us not because I'm the perfect parent for him but because he can teach me things no one else can. This boy is teaching me ways to love, to be kind, to learn, to have compassion and grow in many ways I never could before.
I'm so proud to be this boy's momma. I know he was sent to us not because I'm the perfect parent for him but because he can teach me things no one else can. This boy is teaching me ways to love, to be kind, to learn, to have compassion and grow in many ways I never could before.
Love y'all,
S
S
![]() |














No comments:
Post a Comment