Life is Limited but Families are Forever

Life is Limited but Families are Forever
We are the SUPER STOKES

Oct 1, 2011

Baking Apple Pie

One tip I have come across frequently is that baking is a great way to explain almost any given subject. 1 cup disobdience, 3 tsp. bad influences, 4 T. of not studying the scriptures and 1 cup of "dog poo" is a good recipe for disaster. For children teaching basics of ratio's and parts of math baking is god-sent to any mother. So if its good for spiritual aspects of our life and teaches our precious little ones why can't it teach a thing or two about our spouses? Well the anwser is, it can. when you take a step backward and look at the way your spouse cuts the apples he's preparing for the coveted apple pie. How about using measuring cups or does he "eye ball it." Does he handle the ingredients with delicasy? If you think about all these things can lead up to what kind of personality your spouse has. What else you can learn is also "in the language of" what your spouse talks about while your baking. Does it remind him of when he was younger helping his mom or how about a good time he had with some friends when they took a store bought pie to a sick friend. Its amazing how much you can learn just from the conversation you have while baking. Unfortunately for me-I can barely stand baking. I tolerate with as much as I can. I always seem to fail at whatever I bake and its a miracle when I cook a meal that doesn't burn. I lack the home-making skills most men covet in a woman. I often take too much control of the kitchen and some sort of fight breaks out. In my case-I am the one who learns a lot. I am still a beginer at a lot of things. My marriage, being a mother, cooking/baking/homemaking. My poor husband has to pick up a lot of my slack. He puts up with so much, and I am greatful. I wasn't to eager to bake our apple pie for the preisthood social before their conference session. I can't say I learned much of anything but what was on the recipe. I am sure in the future bake-night (like date night) I will find out what I learned and the marriage skills I am developing for our marriage.

Our Apple Pie Date


10/1/2011 (between conference sessions)

1 comment:

Aubrielle said...

Wish I were as thoughtful and profound as you. :) And i'm sure your pie was lovely...